Storage Tips To Make Your Life (And Ours) Easier
Whenever you prepare your valuables for long term storage, there are a couple of general guidelines to abide by. By following some of these simple salient tips, you’ll ensure that your belongings are kept safe and sound when stored in one of our storage units.
- Storage Unit Size → You’ll first want to make sure that you find a storage facility with enough storage space to harbor your valuables. At Moishe’s, we offer a number of temperature-controlled unit sizes so that you can find the perfect unit for your needs.
Make sure you select a self-storage unit large enough for all your items. Overcrowding your locker or unit could lead to damage or the chaffing of your furniture. Plus, a spacious unit makes it easier to locate your items if you need to pop in periodically to retrieve something. Extra space is always better than not enough space.
- Label All Boxes Before You Move Them to a Storage →It’s a good idea to label all your boxes. If you can, write on the actual box itself rather than using a label maker. Labels are more prone to fall off due to moisture or jostling during the moving process. When labeling, include the general contents of the box along with your name and phone number.
- Organize Your Storage → Try to pack your unit strategically. If there are boxes or items that you’ll need to frequently access, place those near the entryway of your storage unit. Most units have a good bit of headroom as well, so don’t forget to stack your items vertically. Even small room storage can be pretty roomy, due to the included height alone.
Layer your items in accordance with their weight. For the best results, put heavier items towards the bottom of a stack and lighter boxes on top. That way, it’ll be a lot easier to reconfigure your storage space should you have the need. Your lighter boxes won’t be crushed by the heavier boxes and will have a sturdy base to rest upon.
- Carefully Pack All Your Items →Be sure to adequately wrap and pack your items before moving them to a storage facility. Furniture edges and corners can easily become chipped if left unprotected. Moreover, adequate protection will ensure that your items are kept safe from unwanted moisture or pests. Do not store anything that is perishable. Items or foods that can rot over time attract unwanted guests.
It’s also a good idea to properly clean your furniture before wrapping and storing it. This will ensure that your items are kept well preserved during their time in the storage facility.
- Let Us Help with Your Move Into the Storage →If you do need help accessing your items or moving it from one location to another, do not hesitate to reach out for help. It’s always a good idea to bring an extra pair of hands with you to your storage unit just in case. Lifting heavy items with another person reduces your risk of injury and makes for a more efficient moving process.
At Moishe’s, we’re here to make sure that all of your valuables are stored, secured, and accessible. We’re happy to help you get what you need when you need it.