Keep an Eye Out for Scams
When moving from New York City to a different location, keeping track of your items may be a challenge.
Because of the lengthy distances and many expenses associated with long-distance moving, it is important to choose a company that will not attack you with hidden fees upon completion of your move.
To avoid getting scammed into having your personal belongings kept hostage check to see if the company is reputable through the following:
- Ensure the company is found on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
- Check to see if the company’s location is listed and found on Google maps
- Check for a valid DOT number
- Check to see if the company has valid local and interstate moving licenses
- Check to see complaints found on the BBB
- Read reviews on Google or Yelp
- Look for what year the company was established (the newer the company the higher the risk)
- Take your time to conduct your own research to make sure all of your expectations are met.