Being a relocation company, here at Moishes Moving and Storage we know how potentially stressful moving home and especially relocating to a new State can be. And if it’s to a city where the streets are as busy and bustling as New York then it can be quite a thing to contemplate.
Or at least it would be if you didn’t plan well in advance and consider the potential pitfalls along the way. So, if you’re planning a relocation any time soon why not take a look our Top 10 tips to help make your move a little smoother:
Tips for easier home relocation
- It doesn’t matter whether you are packing up your own possessions or you’re getting us to do it, there’s going to be problems if we can’t get near to where the boxes are to be picked up. So, if you have a small yard, there’s parking restrictions or any other reason why we can’t get near your home, then please let us know about it so that we can plan what to do beforehand ie it may mean we have to turn up in a smaller van or even negotiate with the roads authorities to get access it. It definitely saves time if we’re forearmed.
- When packing smaller items do think about the weight of the boxes in terms of making sure it’s balanced. Also, it’s a good idea to pack things from a particular room in the same boxes ie keep all the kitchen stuff together, the bathroom paraphernalia, bedroom linen etc separate. Always label those boxes too so it’s easier to find what you’re looking for and to plan your unpacking.
- Pack the children or any pets you have off to their granny’s, auntie’s or a family friend so that they won’t literally get under your – and our – feet on moving day. Not only will this be less stressful for you and safer for them, but it’ll also be more fun for the little ones to be at the pool, park, watching TV etc.
- On the day make sure you have special documents, money, your phone, contact numbers etc with you at all times. You don’t want these to be lost in the upheaval.
- Accept the fact you may have to do a bit of cleaning once you reach your new abode. You’ve no idea what condition it’ll be left in and if the house has been empty for a little while then there’s it’s a sure bet you’re going to have some dusting and wiping to do.
- Make sure you don’t end up arguing with utility companies for unpaid bills by taking the meter readings as soon as you enter your new home. You should also check at this point that the cooker, boiler, fridge/freezer etc are all in working order – otherwise contact your solicitor.
- Don’t imagine for one minute that you’re going to get through moving day without plenty of snacks, drinks and at least one good nourishing meal. You’ll need these for all those extra calories spent lunging boxes everywhere.
- Always bring an overnight bag with you when moving. This should contain handy items such as toiletries, toothbrushes, hand wipes, contact lenses solution, a change of clothes and bed linen (unless you plan to spend the first night in sleeping bags). You might want to think about a change of clothes for next day too.
Need help on moving home in or to New York? Then contact us at Moishes Moving and Storage. We’ll be happy to avail you of our expertise.