The cost of hiring a full-service professional moving company can seem expensive if you are on a tight budget. You may prefer to rent a truck, gather some able-bodied friends and do the move yourself. But if you do have the money to spend on movers, you can save time, energy and physical and emotional stress. Here are some things that a professional moving company can offer you:
- Moving experience. While packing up and relocating your entire household is probably an overwhelming experience for you, for a professional moving company with years of experience, it’s just another day on the job.
- Industry credibility. Organizations like AMSA (American Moving & Storage Association) provide consumers with guidelines for hiring a quality mover. These organizations require movers to meet a certain criteria to be listed as a member of its network of movers. This privileged association indicates it’s safe to do business with a particular mover. You’ll also want to check to make sure the company has at least a satisfactory rating with the Better Business Bureau. Amateur movers may try to scam you, holding your belongings hostage and costing you more in the end.
- Licensed and insured. A reputable moving company will be licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (you can double-check a mover’s license at www.protectyourmove.gov) and insured. Ask about the amount of coverage they provide. Typically, standard coverage for movers is only $.60 per pound per item. If you are interested in purchasing additional insurance, most moving companies can point you in the right direction. Of course, most professional movers will be careful with your valuables, but accidents do happen.
- Quality packing supplies. On moving day, a good moving company will show up with plenty of sturdy boxes, tape, packing paper, moving blankets and more. Be prepared to pay extra for these items if you need them, but rest assured they will protect your belongings during the move.
- Fast and efficient. Professional movers will get the job done quickly, while still treating your belongings with care. They are trained to pack and carry items according to the company’s rules and policies. Unlike day laborers who charge per hour and may move more slowly, professional movers will work hard to finish your move on schedule.